Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Food Dates



I wanted to write a post today about food dates.  I'm not talking about the dates stamped on food that tell you when they expire. I'm also not talking about the fruity dates that we can eat.  I'm talking about food dates that we create in our mind.  Let me explain...

Have any of you ever made a date with food?  Planning in advance what you will buy to eat and when you'll eat it?  Like getting off work on a Friday night and planning to order pizza or take-out with beer or soda and snacks and settle in for the evening to chow down?  Staying home on a Satuday afternoon and looking forward to baking a cheesy lasagna and a fattening dessert and look forward to making a night of it pigging out?  Eating fattening stuff and more of it because there is nobody around to witness your gluttony?  We looked forward to this almost like a date, with anticipation and planning. 

I know I'm guilty of it and I'm quite sure that most overweight people are too.  We probably did it without realizing how truely unhealthy this food was for us or how out of whack our portion sizes were.  We just wanted the satisfaction, the void filled.  Now we know better. Now we must change our way of thinking, we must reprogram our minds to eat healthier foods and portions.  To move more and eat less. I don't know about you but I'd rather be a wallflower without a date like that ever again.  I want to eat to live, not live to eat. 

On another note - I'm proud to say that I'm a week and a half into being back on track and I'm starting to feel better little by little.  I think it takes a while to work that junk out of your system and get your body adjusted to a healthy diet and exercise again.  My body is probably shouting, "IT'S ABOUT TIME!"

It is about time.

4 comments:

  1. Good post. I don't make food dates where I think about pigging out, but I do cook three meals a day and am constantly thinking about and working with food. My secret goal is to be a food writer; I've won a few contests and now have a regular gig with a publication. I also do a few food events each year, plus, people are always calling me for cooking advice.
    I wish that it could be as simple for me as just canceling my food dates, but with all the food in my life and my constant interaction with it and feeding others, my biggie is too many calories. I realize that my biggest infraction is all the licks, bites and tastes I'm mindlessly consuming.
    Funny. I just realized that my relationship with food isn't the overindulgent dates, but that it's PDA sort of relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel - Being a food writer sounds so interesting. I wonder if being around the food all day if you would eventaully have no interest in eating it - kind of like cooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true; I don't have any interest at all in eating it once it gets to the table, but that's because I've eaten my fill while cooking. To write a thorough account, one must do a lot of tasting while taking notes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I might think about what I'm going to make or have, but since I'm not alone, not doing the pigging out because of it. BUT, I could totally understand it. Funny, I was reading the latest LHJ, and Lucy Liu said there was a difference between what she ate, and what she wanted to eat. That jarred me. So simple, yet so profound.

    ReplyDelete